Sunday, August 17, 2008

Our little girl is growing up!

I went to PA for a few days for one of three annual canning pilgrimages. My sister offered to keep my kids at her house for the 3 days so my mom and I could get everything done without interruption. I got to my sister's on a Sunday afternoon, spent the day there, then went up to my mom's that evening.

In 2 1/2 days my mom and I managed to put up 2 dozen pints of peach jam, 6 pints of pickled vegetables, 10 quarts of bread and butter pickles, a dozen quarts of banana pickles and 29 pints of apricot jam...holy nellie, it was a whirlwind of activity!

On Wednsday morning I left my mom's and went to my sister's to pick up the kids. They had a blast with my sister. They went to the pool during the day and to the Goshen Fair at night. My nephew's won 1st and 2nd place in the Lego competition and my oldest nephew won first prize in the Hershey's cocoa bake off. Not only did he win a cash prize and a big ribbon, he now gets to go to the PA Farm Show and compete with all the other winners across the state!!! What a great time!

Anyway, when I got to my sister's house my yongest child (just shy of 5 at that time) told me she wasn't coming, she was staying with Aunt Dawnie. Well, I nearly fell off my chair let me tell you.

So, i left her there and fretted for several days that she would change her mind and my sister would be left with a whiny child. Turns out she had such a great time she didn't even want to stop playing to talk to me half the time! She went shopping, out to eat, had a sleepover and Grandma's (with more shopping and dining out) and loved playing with her cousins all day.

She is back home now, thanks to a 4 days visit with my sister and another of our friends and all the associated children. Now we start preparing for 10 days without our oldes daughter...but that is a post for another time.

No comments: